Living Room | Before & After

My poor husband. He works so hard as a middle school teacher, and every spring break, just when he’s ready for some time off, I find another project. Last year we painted our office/playroom and half bath. This year, we painted our living room. And just as we were finishing that, I got an inkling to do our laundry room, too. There’s nothing better than a fresh coat of paint over old, scuffed up paint, and our laundry room had been bothering me since we moved in two years ago! I’m loving the new “cool” tones.

IMG_3768 copy
Before. (With a few spots of test paint.) 
IMG_3825 copy
After. It’s just missing wall art and a bit of new decor to tie the new and old colors together!
IMG_3828 copy
After. Next project – replacing the dated tiles around the fireplace!
IMG_3829 copy
After a fresh coat of paint in the laundry room!

Photos of the Day: The “Nesting” Phase

I’ve been going through the “nesting” phase of pregnancy for, oh, about the last 8 months. I’ve wanted to get lots of projects done around the house before the baby comes. (Just ask my poor husband.) In January, with the help of my parents, we painted all the trim and doors in our bedroom and master bathroom. Below are before, during, and after photos.

Before painting our trim
The chaos during trim-painting
An after shot, showing the bright trim and closet doors

And a few weeks ago, my husband and I (mostly him) painted this bookshelf for the baby room. I forgot to take a before picture, but it was a cheap, fake wood bookshelf we bought on Craigslist for $15. I think it looks so cute now! Next up – we’re getting siding put on our house starting tomorrow. Baby K better not make an appearance until after they’re done banging on the side of our house!

We painted this little bookshelf white and tangerine for the baby room. We’ve already got a nice stock of books!

Photo of the Day: The Next Home Project

Last weekend we took on another fairly large home project – staining our deck. The previous homeowners had neglected it – the stain had wore off on the horizontal surfaces, and the wood was peeling horribly. After several hours of cleaning, power washing, and sanding, we were finally ready. It was pushing 100 degrees last weekend, so we got up early and spent both Saturday and Sunday morning staining. The finished product – Redwood Natural semi-transparent – turned out quite nice, if you ask me.